Can I be compensated for losses I have suffered as a victim?
Your insurance may provide coverage for personal injury or property loss due to a crime. If your report of a crime results in the offender being placed on probation or parole, the court may order the offender to make restitution - to pay for the cost of your injuries, damages or loss. An order does not guarantee restitution and many times, it is not possible. However, this office will make every effort to see that restitution is paid when ordered.

The Victim Compensation Act provides monetary compensation for certain uninsured out of pocket losses, as a result of personal injury. Compensation may also be provided to rape victims for the uninsured cost of hospital rape examinations.

(Click here for more information)

Show All Answers

1. What to do if contacted by the Defendant:
2. What is a subpoena?
3. What is an arrest warrant?
4. What happens to the person accused of a crime?
5. What is the purpose of bail?
6. What if I change my mind about prosecuting or testifying?
7. How are witnesses called?
8. What if someone threatens me to drop the charges?
9. What if the defense attorney contacts me about the case?
10. Can I be compensated for losses I have suffered as a victim?
11. What’s in it for me?
13. What is a preliminary hearing?
14. What does a victim or witness do in a preliminary hearing?
15. Are witnesses permitted to be in the courtroom before and after testifying?
16. How does a case get dismissed?
17. What is a deposition?
18. What happens in a trial?
19. How and when is sentencing determined?
20. Does the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office really care about me?